Can you give us an update if this still happens on newer Ubuntu
versions? Thank you!

** Changed in: cdrdao (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to cdrdao in Ubuntu.

  No dialogue / status bar for progress of Audio disc image creation

Status in records CDs in Disk-At-Once (DAO) mode:
  Unknown
Status in “cdrdao” package in Ubuntu:

  When I put a CD into the computer, right-click the icon on the desktop
  and click "copy disc", it writes a disc image, asks me to swap the
  source disc for a blank disc and then writes the disc.

  This works fine but, at the disc image creation stage (writing the
  disc image to my tmp directory), there is no change in the dialogue
  and the progress bar does not move. This is quite confusing as the
  only way to know that anything is happening is by watching the
  flashing drive and watching the size of the temporary iso image
  increase in size.

  It would be excellent if the progress bar could move to indicate how
  long the writing of the image will take and that it is working.