Hi David

I don't know whether this is the right forum to continue with my
problem. No doubt someone will tell me if I need to raise it else where.
In any event if someone stumbles on this as I did then they may find my
comments useful.  I think I know what is going on in my case.

When the PC powers up without the TV switched on. There is no handshake
between it and the TV over the HDMI cable. The video driver defaults to
the expected value but the system disables the video codec. When the TV
is switched on, it does not trigger a restart of the video flgrx driver
and in turn the audio remains disabled. (Wouln't it be nice if the
system detected the TV and this triggers a X server restart.)

I base this on my observations that a HDMI cable unplug and replug
triggers a X restart and audio appears. That if I kill the video with
"sudo pkill X" in a terminal and relogon the audio appears. If I start
the PC after the TV has been switched on the audio appears. The pin 3
results are as you describe above.

Further reading of forum messages on here and elsewhere seems to show
that many have overcome this problem by installing the newer video
drivers from AMD website. The Ubuntu ones are old and the post release
fglrx update in Additional drivers does not work for me and many others
from what I can see in the forums. I have not had success installing a
newer driver from the AMD site, the process fails for me. I have even
tried the latest beta version which apparently has Ubuntu support. I
need to pursue this when I have time.

I am sure that if Ctrl-Alt-Backspace was available that would be an easy
way to restart the x server and the situation would be acceptable. With
Mybuntu I can't enable the feature on the keyboard. I have seen that Alt
(Right)- K-PrintScreen restarts the X server but not for me. I am able
to add buttons to the mythtv frontend (I have buttons to Power_off and
Reboot). I think I will add a button to kill the X server and it will
restart. This is fine but the process does not remember that it should
autologin but that is better than continually unplugging and replugging
in the HDMI cable.

Anyhow, that is as far as I have got.

Peter

  [soundnua]: hdmi audio missing in sound settings

Status in “alsa-driver” package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  When using sound settings, under unity, the option hdmi-audio is
  missing, while under gnome-panel it is available and works fine.

  Steps to reproduce:
  log into unity
  select system settings -> sound settings
  only analogue output available.

  Now log into gnome panel:
  same procedure as above

  hdmi audio is there and works.

  Package: gnome-control-center 1:3.4.0-0ubuntu4
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  ApportVersion: 2.0-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: amd64