Have you got this graphics card. Is it still a problem for you?

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-s3 in Ubuntu.

  cannot configure X for graphics card with 1MB ram

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-s3” package in Ubuntu:

  I tried installing Hoary on a system with S3 Trio64V+. During package
  installation I was asked about desired screen resolutions but not screen
depth.

  Since the card has only 1MB of memory and the default color depth is 24 (but
  32bpp) no sensible mode could be set. X started but nothing could be seen on
the
  screen (possibly bug in doublescan support on the card). Changing the default
  depth to 16 made X work.

  I am not sure how this condition can be detected (except perhaps scanning
  Xorg.log for the memory size). But it may be that this limitation should just
be
  mentioned on a hardeware requirements page which should be easy to find on the
  Ubuntu site.