I'm very late to this party, but:

"We have FAR more pressing problems on the discretion front. Top of my
list is the fact that we don't map notifications away from projectors.
That's far more risky - you can control your choice of wallpaper, but
you can't control what someone might IM to you while you are making your
critical presentation.

So, please help us address that issue. I'm sure we all agree that's more
important, and perhaps, by the time we come back to this less important
issue, we will all have evolved our positions. OK?"

By your logic, a perfectly acceptable solution to this is to just
uninstall notifications. Or uninstall their IM program. Simple right? Or
just not use Ubuntu! Or the regular user could just patch it themselves!
Oh how simple. All your reasons for ignoring this option are perfectly
applicable to the "more pressing" issue you described. In my experience,
the amount of people who have "offensive" (or "private" as I'd much
rather call them, because "offensive" is surely a very small subset of
"private") wallpapers is much greater than the amount of people who use
projectors while their IM program is running.

And what! I think I just solved your "pressing problem" -- just turn
your IM program off? Could it be that simple? Otherwise, uninstall it.

I'm sorry for any unwarranted sarcasm or spitefulness, but this bug
report thread made me really, really sad about Ubuntu's attitude and
priorities at the top of the mound. :-\

With love,
Victor

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Unity Greeter - Background of the Unity Greeter should reflect the
  background chosen by the user that is currently selected

Status in D-Bus interfaces for querying and manipulating user account
information:
  Confirmed
Status in Ayatana Design:
  Fix Released
Status in Light Display Manager:
  Fix Released
Status in Unity Greeter:
  Fix Released
Status in “accountsservice” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “unity-greeter” package in Ubuntu:

  Background of the Unity Greeter should reflect the background chosen
  by the user that is currently selected.

  e.g. the background the user has selected on their desktop should be
  displayed in the greeter.  See the attached animation
  login_screen_v02_WP.mov to understand exactly how the backgrounds
  should crossfade.