I think we can close the bug because according to their homepage this
package is not in development any more.

** Changed in: wvdial (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to wvdial in Ubuntu.

  wvdial does not allow blank username/password

Status in “wvdial” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: wvdial

  The PPP dialer wvdial does not allow usage of blank username /
  passwords. The file wvdial.conf is used to specify the ID/pw for a
  dialup connection, however, the actual dialer refuses to dial if the
  Username and Password fields are intentionally left blank.

  This might be a problem for a lot of people, for instance, those using
  GSM cellphones to connect to the internet via GPRS (as in my case). In
  such cases, the phone used to dial the access number (*99# on most
  carriers/phones) is used to identify the user account, hence no ID/pw
  is needed. If any random ID/pw is set in wvdial.conf, the provider
  drops connection. If no id/pw is set, wvdial refuses to dial!

  Please allow specifically blank id/pw to be used.

  This was tested on Dapper, cannot test on Edgy yet.