I reset the status because you didn't clarify that you tested it.  It
would be helpful to know which version of Thunderbird you actually
tested and which Ubuntu release it was on.

Packages, which is subscribed to thunderbird in Ubuntu.

  Unable to choose dictionary in Thunderbird with only Mozilla's XPI
  spellcheckers

Status in “thunderbird” package in Ubuntu:

  From the Mozilla webpage:
  http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/dictionaries.html

  I have downloaded their plugin XPI spellchecker:
  http://downloads.mozdev.org/dictionaries/spell-de-DE.xpi

  But even after installing this in Thunderbird, I can't choose the new
  dictionary in the preferences. Once I have installed a myspell package
  as instructed below, I am able to use the XPI dictionary also, but
  there is no reason I should not use the Mozilla-provided XPI
  dictionary without installing myspell.

  Kindly enable the dictionary combobox immediately even when only an
  XPI dictionary has been installed.

  This bug is still present in Thunderbird 2.0.0.6+nobinonly-0ubuntu1 on
  Gutsy. It was originally reported for a clean installation of Feisty.