Unfortunately, on a Dell Lattitude E6420 the behavior is not resolved;
booting while docked results in an inability to bring display up on
any/all monitors (including laptop internal display). Booting with
laptop lid open results in docked monitors displaying correctly. After
booting, closing laptop lid results in DPMI turning on for all monitors
(including docked).

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-power-manager in Ubuntu.

  Closing laptop lid should not blank external monitor

Status in “gnome-power-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  I'm using Precise Pangolin installed from scratch, with the latest
  updates.

    txelu@txelu-acer:~$ lsb_release -rd
    Release:    12.04

  My problem is that I have my laptop connected to an external monitor, and if
I started Ubuntu with the lid open I can't close, because not only the laptop
screen goes blank, but also the external monitor.
  As a curious detail if I close the lid right after switching on the laptop,
before Ubuntu starts up, it works as expected.
  Of course, I have set the Energy configuration to do nothing on closing the
lid, and I agree that the laptop screen in that situation should go black, but
not the external screen.
  There is a similar bug filled against previous versions of Ubuntu (#416236)
that was considered a regression, but in that case there was a workaround using
gconf-editor to manually edit the settings for the gnome-power-manager, but
there is no such a entry now in 12.04.