I was able to reproduce this using my dev laptop and a netbook, both
running Precise.

I created the adhoc network on my laptop, then tried and failed to
connect using the NetworkManager applet on the netbook.

I then dropped to the command line on the netbook and manually connected
using wpa_supplicant. This succeeded.

Next I cranked up the logging on both NetworkManager and wpa_supplicant
to prove that NM was feeding in the right keys and so forth. The keys
were right, and I noticed in the output that NM thought that connection
was successful and launched the DHCP client. However, those DHCP packets
never reached my dev laptop (confirmed via syslog).

Now here's the weird part: I attached strace to the NM process and tried
to connect via the applet, and it succeeded. Now all subsequent attempts
to connect are succeeding. Even creating a new network with a different
password, I can no longer reproduce this bug.

  Using WEP 128-bit Passphrase, Ad-hoc connection cannot be established

Status in OEM Priority Project:
  Incomplete
Status in OEM Priority Project precise series:
  Incomplete
Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  When setting up an ad-hoc wifi connection, if choose "WEP 128-bit
Passphrase", the connection cannot be established.
  If choose "None" or "WEP 40/128-bit Key", it can be established successfully.

  Steps to reproduce:
  1. Choose "Create new Wireless Network" in network applet
  2. Choose "WEP 128-bit Passphrase" and create an ad-hoc connection
  3. Use another computer to connect the same ad-hoc ESSID
  4. The connection cannot be established