I don't believe either lightdm or kdm try to kill themselves when
uninstalled.

As implemented, this feature was broken anyway as gdm doesn't always run
on :0 so personally, I've had my X session killed when uninstalling gdm
sometimes.

Packages, which is subscribed to gdm in Ubuntu.

  GDM package fails to uninstall if GDM not running

Status in “gdm” package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in “gdm” source package in Precise:
  Invalid
Status in “gdm” source package in Quantal:

  Currently the gdm package attempts to stop the gdm daemon when it is
  uninstalled. If this fails the package fails to uninstall.

  The daemon is not necessarily running when the package is uninstalled
  so this is a bug, also it is unsafe to stop the daemon as the sysadmin
  might not be expecting this. Fix is to not attempt to stop the dameon
  at all and leave that to the sysadmin to do before uninstalling the
  package.

  [Test Case]
  1. sudo apt-get install gdm
  2. sudo stop gdm
  3. sudo apt-get remove gdm
  Expected result:
  gdm package successfully uninstalls
  Observed result:
  Package fails to uninstall.

  [Regression Potential]
  When uninstalling GDM the daemon will no longer be stopped. There is a risk
of someone relying on this behaviour but it seems unlikely.