@ Loz Saunders
(and @ all):

Thank you very much for testing! However, I am sorry to say so, but your
test suffers from the same error which I have made in my comments 18 to
21 ;-).

If we test with LibreOffice 3.6.2.2, as I did and you did, we may very
well just reproduce bug 54862 (a regression introduced in LibO 3.6.x).
What we need to find out is if *this* special issue, which has similar
symptoms as bug 54862, but is far older and possibly limited to Linux,
is still reproducible.

To clarify this, we need to test with a version of LibreOffice in which
bug 54862 is already fixed; i.e., either with a LibreOffice Master (3.7)
build made after 2012-10-01 23:12:04 UTC, or with a LibreOffice 3.6
daily build made after 2012-10-02 10:57:30 UTC.

You can download these daily builds from
  http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/

Or, in the near future, with some 3.6.3.x build (coming soon).

If, and only if, somebody succeeds to reproduce this present issue,
according to Sasha’s original description in comment #0, with such a
*current* build, we know that this bug still exists, and can ask the
developers to debug and fix it. Else, if several tests show that nobody
can still reproduce this issue, we can close this bug report as
RESOLVED/WORKSFORME, assuming that this bug was fixed somewhere in the
development process.

  [Upstream] Merged cells in table not saved in DOC format

Status in LibreOffice Productivity Suite:
  Confirmed
Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: libreoffice

  Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit, LibreOffice 3.3.2
  Created a table, merged some cells and saved in DOC format. Closed document
then reopened. I would expect the cells to remain merged as they were when
saved. What happened instead was that the cells were 'un-merged', separate
cells.

  Package: libreoffice-core 1:3.3.2-1ubuntu5
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-8.42-generic 2.6.38.2
  Uname: Linux 2.6.38-8-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Sun Jun 12 17:12:55 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Release amd64 (20101007)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: libreoffice
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to natty on 2011-05-22 (21 days ago)