I am using:
   UBUNTU 10.04 LTS
   GNOME 2.30.2  6/25/2010

This works:                      amixer  set Master mute
This does NOT work:     amixer  set Master unmute

When I execute
  >>> amixer  set Master mute
the GUI (Sound Preferences) shows   OUTPUT VOLUME MUTE and there is no sound
whether or not sound output was previously muted

HOWEVER, when I  execute
 >>> amixer set master unmute
at a time when sound output is muted
"amixer" seems to think it has toggled "mute" but the GUI  (Sound Preferences)
OUTPUT VOLUME  STAYS MUTED

BTW, I want a means to set sound output to MUTE upon LOGIN.

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  amixer doesn't seem to unmute audio

Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: pulseaudio

  When i run
  amixer -Dhw:0 set 'Master' unmute
  The volume appears to be unmuted in alsamixer, but the sound is not actually
unmuted, and all the GUI tools show the sound is muted.

  I've attached a log, of the following...
  pressing the mute button on my keyboard, so the sound is muted.
  using the unmute command so the sound should be unmuted.
  playing a sound in pidgin, getting no sound, because the sound is still muted.
  hitting the mute button on my keyboard again, which actually unmutes the
sound.
  playing a sound in pidgin, and getting sound

  I've also attached a screenshot, showing the GUI saying the sound is
  muted, while alsamixer is saying that it isn't.

  Note that while unmute doesn't work, setting the volume does.
  amixer -Dhw:0 set 'Master' 100%
  Works as expected, for example.

  I'm also affected by #352732, maybe related.