While as a fellow developer I understand the point of core Wine
developers of not accepting large and complex patches who, by previous
experience, is unlikely to be there to maintain it in the future, thus
putting the maintenance burden of this new code on the very same core
Wine devs, ...

... at the same time considering the time frame of the bug, importance
of the bug to a large fraction of Wine users and the fact that the
solution is already well tested and used by most users of distribution
packages, IMHO core developers should bite the bullet and try to review
this code on its technical merits and have one of the core devs take
over the responsibility for the patch, its further development and
inclusion into core.

Continuing to keep this out-of-tree is guaranteed to keep the annoyance
going for all parties involved.

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Occasional sound drops in Wine via PulseAudio

Status in Wine:
  Confirmed
Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “wine” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: wine

  I'm running the Spotify Windows application on two laptops under Wine
  with both internal and external USB sound card. With both cards you
  get the occasional pop and click in the sound suggesting some data
  loss somewhere.

  I've selected the alsa drivers in winecfg and the whole thing is
  running via the alsa compatibility layer in pulseaudio.

  Jaunty 9.04 UNR and standard Ubuntu desktop.

  wine:
    Installed: 1.0.1-0ubuntu6
    Candidate: 1.0.1-0ubuntu6
    Version table: