I'm not sure, if this isn't perhaps a bigger issue. This is definitely
NOT FIXED. But most users won't notice it (until it's too late and the
filesystem becomes more and more inconsistent). Comment posted on:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ifupdown/+bug/1061639

Sorry for the additionally comment here. But I really want to raise
awareness of this issue, because –at least for my installations- it is
so critically bad.

It has something to do with services (init-scripts), /etc/init.d/,
networking. But it's not only dns-masq, because I added an additional
"killall -9 dnsmasqd; sync; sync; sleep 3" in /etc/init.d/umountfs, and
it says "no process: dnsmasq", and it makes no difference. Filesystem
never gets unmounted cleanly.

Thanks and happy bug fixing!

  In Quantal, the root filesystem is not cleanly unmounted at shutdown
  or reboot

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:

  Ever since some update in the Quantal pre-releases, having dnsmasq-
  base installed will cause the root filesystem to not be properly
  unmounted on shutdown and reboot. In case the Plymouth splash screen
  is disabled, the message 'mount: / is busy' will be shown, but
  otherwise the user will not even be aware of this problem.

  After rebooting, the root filesystem needs recovery, as shown in
  dmesg:

  kevin@vbox-xubuntu-quantal:~$ dmesg | grep EXT4
  [    1.022746] EXT4-fs (sda2): INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem
  [    1.022750] EXT4-fs (sda2): write access will be enabled during recovery
  [    1.248294] EXT4-fs (sda2): recovery complete
  [    1.248661] EXT4-fs (sda2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
Opts: (null)
  [    1.456315] EXT4-fs (sda2): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro

  Yet again, the user will not be aware of this until it is too late.
  The only way to avoid this from happening (or at least what I've
  found) is running 'sudo apt-get purge dnsmasq-base'. Sadly, this also
  removes network-manager and network-manager-gnome, so it isn't really
  a viable solution.

  Another problem that might be related is that having an active
  connection with the Network Manager prior to shutting down or
  rebooting, will cause the process to hang for a few seconds, after
  which the message about / being busy is shown. Stopping the network
  service (sudo service networking stop) will solve the hanging, but not
  the unclean unmount. So far, only purging dnsmasq-base seems to do
  that, which obviously also solves the other problem, as Network
  Manager will then also be removed.

  Although I haven't experienced it yet, this could cause potential data
  loss; especially for users without a seperate /home partition.