I have a Valgrind log using a wrapper for /usr/lib/gvfs/gvfsd-gphoto2 as
Sebastien adviced.
However, I have not managed to copy more than a 19MB (RAW photo file), thus I
am not sure if it will help. All bigger files (videos) ended up with time out
error as the Valgrind memchecks take probably too long (Nautilus seems to
require getting a response within 30 seconds after making a copy request).

Test run on Ubuntu 12.10 where the memory problem persists - I have
tried coppying a 1.7GB video file using gphoto2 protocol in Nautilus
(without Valgrind wrapper) and it begun consuming memory right after
entering the directory with the video file (for obtaining a preview) -
leaving the directory didn't stop raising memory usage - it raised
somewhere to 5GB of RAM (used only by gvfsd-gphoto2) after what I closed
the Nautilus window - this unallocated all the 5GB of memory.

After entering the directory again, there was the video file with default video
icon showing no video preview.
After pasting the video file into a local directory gvfsd-gphoto2 begun
consuming memory again but the Nautilus dialog showed 0 bytes copied. Then
after 30 seconds the copy dialog has been closed showing the time out error as
with Valgrind (this is new behavior, it didn't happen at least with Oneiric
where I was able to copy the file if I had enough memory - so now, I'm NOT ABLE
TO COPY A BIG FILE FROM A CAMERA AT ALL). After closing the error window
stopping the copy operation, however, gvfsd-gphoto2 continued allocating memory
up to the 1.7GB - then all the memory has been freed immediately.

Please ask if you need another information, I hope to get this very old
issue finally fixed - for now, I'm marking it confirmed.

Thank you in advance.

** Attachment added: "Valgrind log for a 19MB file copying"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/348522/+attachment/3406322/+files/valgrind.log

** Changed in: gvfs (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to gvfs in Ubuntu.

  gvfsd-gphoto2 memory leak

Status in “gvfs” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: gvfs

  Copy video files from my Canon Digital IXUS 90 IS with 16GB SD Card is a very
hard problem.
  It uses about 1 or 2 times the file dimension that you are copying.

  I have 2GB of memory (1GB RAM + 1 GB SWAP) and I can't backup some
  videos because they are too big.