will the updated fix be Back ported to 12.10?
or Earlier?
It is an important bug

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-sis in Ubuntu.

  Old SiS video needs v86d for Lucid Plymouth

Status in GetDeb Software Portal:
  Invalid
Status in “xserver-xorg-video-sis” package in Ubuntu:

  The bug I was having with Lucid is best described at
http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/
  A black screen persists for most of boot-up, showing no progress; then an
ugly blast of colored lines followed by a Plymouth screen for a second or two
before going to a login screen.  What's expected
  is to see the Plymouth screen and a progression of dots as things proceed.

  My elderly laptop has the following video:
  lspci | grep -i vga
  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
661/741/760 PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter

  My kernel is as follows:
  cat /proc/version
  Linux version 2.6.32-22-generic (buildd@rothera) (gcc version 4.4.3 (Ubuntu
4.4.3-4ubuntu5) ) #33-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 28 13:27:30 UTC 2010

  I had earlier solved a different Plymouth problem, a nasty hangup at fsck, by
upgrading mountall, which now is:
  mountall --version
  mountall 2.15
  Copyright (C) 2010 Canonical Ltd.

  The blackscreen at the first part of Plymouth was finally solved
  simply by using synaptic to install the v86d package.  No other tweaks
  were necessary to get past the black screen phenomenon and see the
  progression of dots as things proceed.    This may have brought boot-
  up down to 56 seconds from 60 as well.  Incidentally, the synaptic
  install does its own initramfs revision to incorporate v86d.  In my
  case I don't get vesafb or uvesafb, but at least the black screen is
  gone.