This bug still exists in 12.10 (Quetzalcoatl, or whatever the crazy code
name is this time) and I presume 12.04 as well.  Now it says
"authentication failure" after logging in and out too many times.  Still
no indication to the user that they should wait a while before trying to
log in.

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  empathy does not display AOL OSCAR too-frequent-login ban message to
  users

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: empathy

  The AOL Instant Messenger protocol bars users from logging in if they
  log in and out of their accounts too many times in rapid succession.
  When this happens in other clients, such as Adium (for OSX) and Slick
  (for Symbian), a message is popped up to the user informing them that
  they are barred from logging in, and letting them know not to try
  again for 10 minutes, or the length of the ban will be increased.

  From empathy, I logged in and out of my account a bunch of times,
  forgetting about this rule.  Eventually, empathy just stopped signing
  me in, and only gave a cryptic 'Network error' message.  I kept
  hitting the button to try again, without success or further
  explanation.  Then, I remembered the too-frequent-logins rule, and I
  tried signing in from another client.  I discovered that I had
  triggered the ban.  Empathy had provided no information about this ban
  to me.

  UBUNTU RELEASE: 10.10 with latest updates as of 2010-10-24

  empathy VERSION: 2.32.0-0ubuntu2
  telepathy-haze VERSION: 0.4.0-1

  REPRODUCIBLE: Always

  STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

  Sign in and out of an AIM account a bunch of times in rapid
  succession.

  WHAT HAPPENS:

  Eventually, empathy stops signing you in, but provides no error
  message except 'Network error'.  If you enable EMPATHY_DEBUG and check
  the empathy logs, you only see an error message about a network error
  and another error message for not being able to get an 'owner' for the
  account name.  If you enable HAZE_DEBUG and look in the haze logs, you
  see the text of the ban message from AOL's OSCAR servers.

  WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN:

  Telepathy-haze needs to communicate the relevant reason for the login
  failure to Empathy, and Empathy needs to display that to the user.  I
  am not sure where the message is getting lost (that is, is telepathy-
  haze not sending it properly, or is empathy not displaying it).  This
  problem needs to get fixed, otherwise our users may accidentally
  trigger lengthy bans by trying to reconnect after the ban message has
  been sent from AOL's servers.

  Package: empathy 2.32.0-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-22.35-generic 2.6.35.4
  Uname: Linux 2.6.35-22-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Sun Oct 24 22:31:23 2010
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS "Lucid Lynx" - Release amd64 (20100429)
  ProcEnviron:
   LC_COLLATE=C
   PATH=(custom, user)
   LANG=en_US.utf8