And amazingly I do have a workaround!  Well, for AMD/ATI users at least.

If you have the proprietary AMD drivers installed, open up the Catalyst
Control Center and switch over to the "Color" screen.  Tweak the "Gamma"
setting (make sure "All(locked)" is selected under "Select Color
Channel:") and the screen should pop back into full brightness.  Hit the
reset button for that slider (off to the right-end of it) and it should
stick.

I'm not sure if this is applicable to Nvidia users, or users without
proprietary drivers.  Nvidia users should definitely try this if they
have their proprietary drivers and have access to their equivalent of
AMD's CCC (don't remember what it's called for Nvidia cards).  Non-
proprietary driver users should look into installing Redshift (run "sudo
apt-get install gtk-redshift") to graphically tweak the gamma settings.

Packages, which is subscribed to fglrx-installer in Ubuntu.

  Screen partially darkened after suspend and resume in Xubuntu

Status in pm-utils:
  New
Status in Xfce4 Power Manager:
  New
Status in Xubuntu:
  New
Status in “fglrx-installer” package in Ubuntu:

  3 days ago after the most recent kernel update, my computer wouldn't
  start and got stuck on the screen reporting that it couldn't detect
  the hardware and start X. I reinstalled Ubuntu and the Xubuntu
  desktop, and somehow I am no longer getting that error, but now
  whenever I suspend and resume Xubuntu, the whole desktop is darkened
  as if there's a layer of semi-transparent black over everything. The
  mouse cursor is still completely white, so I know it's not a monitor
  brightness issue. If I suspend and resume again, it's twice as dark,
  as if there are now two semi-transparent black layers over the screen.
  When I restart or log out and back in again, it's back to normal until
  I suspend again. It doesn't happen every time I suspend--just most of
  the time.

  I have no idea what package this is actually a problem with. It may
  have something to do with XFCE. I tried killing and restarting
  metacity and that didn't help, and neither did killing the
  screensaver.

  Package: xorg 1:7.6+12ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-25.40-generic-pae 3.2.18
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-25-generic-pae i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx
  .tmp.unity.support.test.0:

  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu8
  Architecture: i386
  CompizPlugins:
[core,bailer,detection,composite,opengl,compiztoolbox,decor,vpswitch,move,dbus,screenshot,gnomecompat,resize,mousepoll,place,imgpng,grid,session,regex,animation,wall,wobbly,workarounds,expo,ezoom,staticswitcher,fade,scale,unityshell]
  CompositorRunning: None