I have a temporary workaround until this issue is fixed. It seems indeed
that it occurs on encrypted home directories, so the solution is to move
the files away from that. Note that the files you move away from your
encrypted home directory are (obviously)  no longer encrypted...

Anyway, this worked for me (execute in terminal):

# 1. exit Transmission (properly exit)
killall transmission
ps aux | grep transmission | grep -v grep   # should yield nothing

# 2. move the resume directory (where transmission keeps the resume files) to a
non-encrypted directory:
mv ~/.config/transmission/resume /tmp/transmission-resume

# 3. make a symbolic link from the original location to the new one:
ln -s /tmp/transmission-resume ~/.config/transmission/resume

Obviously, it's also a good idea to *save* these files with long file names in
a non-encrypted directory.

Packages, which is subscribed to transmission in Ubuntu.

  Error: Unable to save resume file: File name too long

Status in Transmission:
  New
Status in “transmission” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: transmission

  I'm trying to download a torrent (from
  http://www.jamendo.com/en/album/48348) but I get the message:

  "Error: Unable to save resume file: File name too long"

  and I don't see that there is much I can do about that. It would be
  nice if transmission dealt with the problem itself and made up a
  shorter name for itself, as I have no idea how to shorten the name
  myself.

  Package: transmission-gtk 2.05-0ubuntu0.2
  Uname: Linux 2.6.37-rc4-fireworks2 x86_64
  Architecture: amd64