When I try to install via sudo, apt reports that I already have the
latest version. I rebooted as suggested, but I still get the same error.

Packages, which is subscribed to policykit-1-gnome in Ubuntu.

  Kubuntu desktop missing dependency on polkit-kde-1

Status in “policykit-1-gnome” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “polkit-kde-1” package in Ubuntu:

  After installing KDE on regular Ubuntu using "apt-get install kubuntu-
  desktop", I am not able to change any of the system settings requiring
  administrative privileges due to the lack of the installation of
  "polkit-kde-1". It will fail with an error as described here below
  with Muon when I expected to be shown a dialogue to enter my password.

  Also other KDE software is affected. For example, when applying
  changes in Muon package manager, I get the error "This operation
  cannot continue since proper authorisation was not provided".
  Installing polkit-kde-1 solves this issue and a proper dialogue is
  opened to ask for the (sudo) password.

  Steps to reproduce (example):
  - Install regular Ubuntu
  - Install "kubuntu-desktop" using apt-get
  - During installation choose KDM as default login manager
  - Log in in the KDE desktop
  - Open (for example) System settings -> Login Screen. change Appearance,
click the "Apply" button.

  Expected result: An authorization dialogue shown to enter my password,
  after which the changed would be applied.

  Actual result: Error dialogue: "This operation cannot continue since
  proper authorisation was not provided". None of the changes were
  applied.

  After manual installation of polkit-kde-1, logging out and logging
  back in, the result is as expected.

  My recommendation is to fix the dependencies/recommends of the KDE
  suite in Ubuntu in order to overcome this usability issue.

  Ubuntu version: Oneiric Ocelot (11.10) fresh install, updated to date
  on 2011-10-04.

  Package: kubuntu-desktop 1.239
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu2
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Tue Oct  4 19:38:05 2011
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Beta amd64 (20110930)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en_US:en
   LANG=nl_NL.utf8
   SHELL=/bin/bash