Obviously, I double checked with other browsers that it is not the destination
site to get confused.
Google chrome uploads files to anagrafericerca.unibo.it without any problem.

  firefox uploads files with wrong mimetype

Status in The Mozilla Firefox Browser:
  Invalid
Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: firefox

  Using firefox 2.0.0.1 on Ubuntu edgy.

  If I upload a PDF file to some site using firefox, the receiver gets
  the file and an associated mimetype of application/binary rather than
  the correct application/pdf

  (btw, note that konqueror uploads the pdf file with the correct
  mimetype).

  I do not know if the above is a problem with edgy firefox or with
  upstream firefox, but I suspect the first.

  The bug seems minor, but is in fact critical to those needing to
  upload conference papers or journal articles to publishers' web sites.
  In fact, the latter often refuse the file if the file does not appear
  to be PDF.