For Greek users, we created live CDs for Ubuntu 12.04 to work around the
problem:
http://ts.sch.gr/wiki/Linux/LiveCD

Other countries affected by this grave bug are:

$ grep XKBLAYOUT=us, keyboard-configuration.config | sort -u
 XKBLAYOUT=us,am # Armenia
 XKBLAYOUT=us,ara # Arabic
 XKBLAYOUT=us,bd # Bangladesh
 XKBLAYOUT=us,bg # Bulgaria
 XKBLAYOUT=us,bt # Bhutan
 XKBLAYOUT=us,by # Belarus
 XKBLAYOUT=us,ge # Georgia
 XKBLAYOUT=us,gr # Greece
 XKBLAYOUT=us,il # Israel
 XKBLAYOUT=us,in # India
 XKBLAYOUT=us,ir # Iran
 XKBLAYOUT=us,kg # Kyrgyzstan
 XKBLAYOUT=us,kh # Cambodia
 XKBLAYOUT=us,kz # Kazakhstan
 XKBLAYOUT=us,la # Laos
 XKBLAYOUT=us,lk # Sri Lanka
 XKBLAYOUT=us,ma # Morocco
 XKBLAYOUT=us,mk # Macedonia
 XKBLAYOUT=us,mn # Mongolia
 XKBLAYOUT=us,np # Nepal
 XKBLAYOUT=us,ru # Russia
 XKBLAYOUT=us,si # Sri Lanka
 XKBLAYOUT=us,th # Thailand
 XKBLAYOUT=us,tj # Tajikistan
 XKBLAYOUT=us,ua # Ukraine

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Default XKBLAYOUT is not used, so new users only have "en" layout

Status in “accountsservice” package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  I installed Ubuntu 12.04 in Greek.
  The following were correctly put in my /etc/default/keyboard:
  XKBMODEL="pc105"
  XKBLAYOUT="us,gr"
  XKBVARIANT=","
  XKBOPTIONS="grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"

  The user that did the installation correctly has the option to switch between
"English (us)/Greek (gr)" in lightdm, and gets the keyboard switching applet in
the panel indicator.
  His /var/lib/AccountsService/users/alkisg contains:
  XKeyboardLayouts=us;gr;

  I create a new user, either with the UI, or with adduser.
  Before she logs in, while still in lightdm, she doesn't have the option to
switch between  "English (us)/Greek (gr)".
  After she logs in, she doesn't get the keyboard layout applet.
  Her /var/lib/AccountsService/users/newuser contains:
  XKeyboardLayouts=

  So I guess the problem is that either accounts-service should return the
system-wide XKBLAYOUT for new users,
  or lightdm should read the system-wide defaults when accounts-service returns
"unset".

  Here are the results of `setxkbmap -print` for the user that did the
installation, where everything is fine:
  xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };
        xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete+ledscroll(group_lock)"        };
        xkb_symbols   { include
"pc+us+gr:2+inet(evdev)+group(alt_shift_toggle)"        };
        xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"     };
  };

  And here they are for the new user, which doesn't have the ability to switch
the keyboard layout:
  xkb_keymap {
        xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };
        xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
        xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
        xkb_symbols   { include "pc+us+inet(evdev)"     };