I know it's probably no consolation to you but I was experiencing the
same issues and was concerned about the fact that it never seemed to
sync data locally like it said it should. I tried all sorts of different
hacks and attempts to get it working. The only thing that worked was
purging evolution AND the purging the hard drive of all config and data
files. Only then when I reinstalled did evolution function flawlessly.
That being said it was a pain having to download multiple gigabytes of
emails again from the imap server. It's not really a workaround but
figured someone else might benefit from it if they were also at the end
of their tether like I was with this issue.

Packages, which is subscribed to evolution in Ubuntu.

  evolution locks up

Status in “evolution” package in Ubuntu:

  I upgraded to 12.10 the 19th, now every day randomly evolution will
  lock up and become unusable -- unable to close through the x button or
  pkill I have to get its pid and kill -9 it.

  Package: evolution 3.6.0-0ubuntu3
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia