I am the original reporter of this bug.  Please do not hijack this bug
report.  This bug report deals with the disappearance of the "compact"
mode for the contacts list.  The ability to sort by status is also
missing, but it is *not* the subject of this bug report.  Please file a
separate report for that.

The ability to show/hide offline contacts does nothing to ameliorate the
lack of the compact mode contacts list.

** Changed in: empathy (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  empathy contacts list compact mode is missing in 3.6

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:

  Prior to upgrading to quantal, Empathy had a compact mode for the
  contacts list.  This would show each contact on a single line that was
  just tall enough to display the contact's username.  This way, I would
  be able to use my high resolution monitor to view all of my online
  contacts simultaneously.

  Under Empathy 3.6 on quantal, the option for a compact mode
  disappeared and each contact in the list takes about 3 times the
  vertical space needed to display the contact's username.  Now even
  with my high resolution montor, I can only view about 1/3 of my online
  contacts at a time.

  Please bring back the compact mode.

  Package: empathy 3.6.0.3-0ubuntu1