Sorry, I have been looking at the end of the list, where every packagename
starts with lib, and the items were sorted by the last part of the packagename,
but indeed, I could find package 'ri1.9.1' before 'libhd....'.
The code [1] also states this: first try sorting by display name, which (for
apps which don't have a desktop file) is the first line of the description from
the .control file, and fall back to sorting by packagename.

[1] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~software-store-developers/software-
center/trunk/annotate/head:/softwarecenter/db/enquire.py#L212

** Changed in: software-center (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to software-center in Ubuntu.

  Sort by name sorts by description

Status in “software-center” package in Ubuntu:

  Version: software-center 5.2.3 (from Ubuntu 12.04 on amd64)

  Having searched for a fragment of a package name, I wanted to sort the
  results by package name. Sadly, selecting sort "By Name" in the
  dropdown list in fact sorts the results by the first line of the
  Description from the debfile. Please rename "Sort By Name" to be less
  confusing and add a "Sort By Package Name" or similar.

  Workaround: install synaptic.