We're closing this bug since there has not been a response from the original
reporter.  However, the issue still exists please feel free to reopen with the
requested information.  If you're not the original reporter, we'd prefer you
file a new bug report.

Some tips:

  * Report X.org bugs via the command:  `ubuntu-bug xorg`

  * Test against the latest development Ubuntu.
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/
    Bugs marked as affecting the development version tend to get priority
attention.

  * The `xdiagnose` utility has functionality for enabling debugging and
    analyzing a few common X problems.

  * Tag your bugs with the Ubuntu versions you have reproduced the issue
in.

  * See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Reporting for tips on writing good bug
reports.

** Changed in: xserver-xorg-video-trident (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-trident in Ubuntu.

  [Hardy] Toshiba laptop screen at max 800x600 rather than 1024x768

Status in xf86-video-trident:
  New
Status in “xserver-xorg-video-trident” package in Ubuntu:
  Expired
Status in “xserver-xorg-video-trident” package in Baltix:

  New fully updated install of Hardy on a Toshiba satellite pro 6050.
  Screen should be 1024x768, Ubuntu is using 800x600 leaving a large
  black border.

  Graphics chipset is Trident CyberBladeXPAi1

  Looking at Xorg.0.log the TRIDENT driver has identified that it has a
  1024x768 panel

  TFT Panel 1024x768 found

  But presumes it has 24 bit colour earlier. I suspect this machine
  cannot do 24 bit colour and use the entire screen, In these cases
  Ubuntu should use 16 bit colour and the full resolution.