As a workaround for playlists, I put this together for my startup:

#!/bin/sh
rhythmbox-client
sleep 10
listid=`dbus-send --type=method_call  --print-reply
--dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.rhythmbox  /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2
org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Playlists.GetPlaylists uint32:3 uint32:1
string:Alphabetical boolean:false | grep -o /.*0x[^\"]*`
dbus-send --type=method_call  --print-reply
--dest=org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.rhythmbox  /org/mpris/MediaPlayer2
org.mpris.MediaPlayer2.Playlists.ActivatePlaylist objpath:$listid

You can replace “uint32:3″ with the number (alphabetical) of the
playlist you want. this could be impoved to select by name as well

Packages, which is subscribed to rhythmbox in Ubuntu.

  Play music from command line

Status in The Rhythmbox Music Management Application:
  New
Status in “rhythmbox” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: rhythmbox

  I suggest adding a feature to play music from the CLI. Here are some example
commands and their intended results:
  rhythmbox-client --play "search-string" <--- all results for general search
  rhythmbox-client --play-artist "artist" <-- Results of search for artist
  rhythmbox-client --play-album "album" <-- Results of search for album
  rhythmbox-client --play "search string" --first 5 <--- first five tracks
  rhythmbox-client --play "search string" --last 5 <--- last five tracks
  rhythmbox-client --playlist "playlist" <-- playlist
  This could be integrated with an alarm app to play music at a given time.