I have the exact same problem as the original poster. I am using Ubuntu
12.04 with nvidia proprietary binary drivers.

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  LightDM restarts after first login attempt

Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  When I initially boot or reboot my computer and am presented with the
  LightDM login screen, two strange things happen:

  1) There are some weird graphical artifacts near the top of the screen
  that change as I type in my password.

  2) After entering the password (correctly) and hitting enter, the
  LightDM screen disappears, my displays are turned off, and only
  moments later I'm presented with the login screen again. Logging in
  the second time is successful and I'm able to reach the desktop.

  It seems like these might be part of the same problem. I can't say for
  sure whether this is consistent behavior because I only upgraded
  yesterday.

  I'm using NVIDIA binary drivers with TwinView, Oneiric.