The problem still occurs on Quantal's nautilus. On local FS .htaccess
has text/plain mime type but on FTP (connected using gvfs) the same file
has Unknown type (according to file properties in nautilus).

It could be also gvfs bug because it is working just fine on remote nfs
server.

  Can not register .htaccess files to a program

Status in Nautilus:
  Expired
Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: nautilus

  Every time I try and open an .htaccess file, Nautilus can not open it,
  even after registering it with 'gedit' through right-click >
  Properties > Open With > gedit (or 'Text Editor') or right-click >
  Open with Other Application... > 'gedit'

  No matter what I do, when I double-click the file, or right-click >
  Open, this error appears:

  Could not display "ftp://user@host/folder/.htaccess";.
  There is no application installed for this file type

  $ apt-cache policy nautilus gedit linux-image-generic && lsb_release -a
  nautilus:
    Installed: 1:2.24.1-0ubuntu1
    Candidate: 1:2.24.1-0ubuntu1
    Version table: