Maybe a slightly different bug, but I see a very similar issue in
libreoffice: I have cups configured for the printers at work. When I
open a presentation at home (does not happen very often), libreoffice
freezes for 2-3 minutes when opening (so not even a print-dialog
involved!), after which it works correctly. Commenting the line
'ServerName cupserver.mywork.com' in /etc/cups/client.conf, libreoffice
opens instantly. I learned this the hard way when I was away on a
conference and had to update my presentation 2 hours before my talk.
Took me some stressful minutes and a packet-sniffer before I found the
problem :).

Packages, which is subscribed to cups in Ubuntu.

  Print dialog hangs when print server is off

Status in Common Print Dialog:
  New
Status in “cups” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: cups

  My printer is on another computer and I print to it using IPP. Both
  systems are ubuntu systems running cups servers. When the computer
  with the printer is powered down and I try to print from a Gnome
  application, the program hangs for 1-3 minutes before displaying the
  print dialog. If the external print server is on the print dialog
  appears immediately.

  I'm using Ubuntu 8.10, the external server is running 8.04, and cups
  1.3.9-2ubuntu6.1