Im on a fresh install of 12.04 and the chromium-browser frm the repo
(Version 20.0.1132.47 Ubuntu 12.04 (144678))

I'm having this same behavior. Click icon... pulsation then nothing,
usually the second attempt works but never the first.

Packages, which is subscribed to chromium-browser in Ubuntu.

  Chromium Browser takes several attempts to start from launcher

Status in “chromium-browser” package in Ubuntu:

  Release:      12.04

  Chromium version:  17.0.963.66~r124982-0ubuntu1

  Expected behaviour:

  I click on the chromium browser launcher icon, the icon pulsates and
  chromium browser starts up shortly afterwards.

  What happens instead:
  I click on the chromium browser launcher icon, the icon pulsates but chromium
browser does not start.
  I click on the launcher icon a second time (after waiting for the icon to
stop pulsating) and chromium browser still does not start.
  I click on the launcher icon a third time and chromium browser starts up
shortly afterwards.

  Additional information:
  Chromium occasionally starts up first time but this happens maybe 1 in 8-10
attempts.
  If chromium fails to launch with the first attempt, it sometimes starts up
the second time but usually it takes a third attempt.
  It never takes more than three attempts before finally starting.

  If I try starting from a terminal, chromium usually starts normally
  but will occasionally fail to start, with "Segmentation fault" the
  only output.

  This happens in both Unity and Unity 2D.
  This problem also occurs if using chromium browser from the chromium-daily
PPA.
  The same versions of chromium browser launch normally in Kubuntu/KDE, not
tested in other environments.

  Package: chromium-browser 18.0.997.0~svn20120105r116462-0ubuntu1~ucd1
[origin: LP-PPA-chromium-daily]
  CrashDB: ubuntu
  Date: Thu Mar  8 23:39:45 2012
  Desktop-Session:
   DESKTOP_SESSION = ubuntu-2d
   XDG_CONFIG_DIRS = /etc/xdg/xdg-ubuntu-2d:/etc/xdg
   XDG_DATA_DIRS =
/usr/share/ubuntu-2d:/usr/share/gnome:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/
  Env:
   MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH = None
   LD_LIBRARY_PATH = None
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Beta amd64 (20120301)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_GB:en
   TERM=xterm
   LANG=en_GB.UTF-8