Nope, I'm unable to reproduce the problem by adding "iface eth0 inet6
auto" and "iface eth0 inet dhcp" and running restart networking. I have
not enabled proposed updates. Are there any other steps in the
reproduction? I'm not sure that this machine has used the alternate
installation, and it has been upgraded at least once.

  IPv4 connectivity broken after installing from ubuntu-12.04-alternate-
  amd64.iso

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “network-manager” source package in Precise:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  [Impact]
  IPv6 is becoming increasingly popular and installations on IPv6-ready
networks are becoming more frequent; this issue affects installations of the
Desktop image from the alternate image (or using d-i in any other way) when
IPv6 autoconfiguration or DHCPv6 is used. These installations will fail to
recognize that the interface should be managed by NetworkManager after the
installation because only the "iface X inet dhcp" line would be commented out,
leaving another valid "iface X" line for "inet6" causing NetworkManager to
ignore the device. The solution was to comment out all lines in
/etc/network/interfaces pertaining to interface X: "auto X", "iface X inet",
and "iface X inet6".

  [Test Case]
  1a) With IPv6 autoconfiguration (for example, using radvd) or DHCPv6
available on the network:
  1b) With no IPv6 available on the network:
  2) Install Ubuntu from the alternate CD; or using d-i via a netboot image.
  3) After the installation:
   a) Verify that NetworkManager properly handles all interfaces.
   b) Verify that the network interfaces configuration is commented out in
/etc/network/interfaces.

  [Regression Potential]
  Untypical configurations may find devices that should be ignored by
NetworkManager to be handled by it. Standard installations could fail to
comment the necessary information from /etc/network/interfaces to allow for
NetworkManager to do is job; or the file could be mangled to remove the "lo"
interface, which would make unrelated services fail.

  ---

  To reproduce:
  - Download ubuntu-12.04-alternate-amd64.iso, sha256sum:
f8d54df0afbab6a6248f6e2bcab3e68f01c04d52b0bb1f889d880ad3bc881ccb
  - Burn it to a USB flash drive from a completely up-to-date Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
with UNetbootin
  - Install on a machine with both IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity
  - Log in to the newly installed system

  Current behaviour:
  - There is no IPv4 connectivity
  - NetworkManager doesn't show the wired interface in its dropdown

  Expected behaviour:
  - There is IPv4 connectivity
  - NetworkManager does show the wired interface in its dropdown

  Thoughts:
  I suspect this is because during the install my /etc/network/interfaces was
created like so:
  ---BEGINS---

  # The loopback network interface
  auto lo
  iface lo inet loopback

  # The primary network interface
  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet dhcp
  # This is an autoconfigured IPv6 interface
  iface eth0 inet6 auto
  ---ENDS---

  Then network-manager-0.9.4.0/debian/ifblacklist_migrate.sh mutates the file
to comment out a single line like so:
  #NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp

  i.e. the line
  iface eth0 inet6 auto
  remains intact

  This means that the /etc/network/interfaces file gives me IPv6
  connectivity but not IPv4 connectivity.  Furthermore, because there is
  an uncommented iface eth0 inet6 line, NetworkManager doesn't show me
  the interface in its dropdown.

  To fix:
  - The regular expression needs to be changed so that the iface eth0 inet6
auto line is also commented out