In an attempt to make some progress, I tried to move the spot in the
program where the call for accountsservice's SetLanguage method takes
place. I seeked a spot after an eCryptfs protected HOME has been
decrypted, but before PAM reads ~/.pam_environment and sets the locale
environment accordingly. Unfortunately such a spot does not seem to
exist.

The decryption seems to be completed only in the end of session_run(),
but at that point it's too late for PAM, even if you take into account
the proposed fix of bug #952185 that's currently being considered.
Consequently, just moving the SetLanguage call is not sufficient to fix
this bug.

Packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  Encrypted HOME should be 'unlocked' at login before calling
  SetLanguage

Status in Light Display Manager:
  Triaged
Status in “lightdm” package in Ubuntu:

  Apart from bug #952185, the language chooser on the lightdm-gtk-
  greeter does not work if you log in to a user with an encrypted HOME.
  The call for accountsservice's SetLanguage method happens before HOME
  is available, so it's rejected by SetLanguage.

  It seems like HOME needs to be 'unlocked' earlier and/or the
  SetLanguage call postponed. That way the language chooser would work
  also with an encrypted HOME, and without a need to e.g. mess with a
  cache file.