** Changed in: software-center (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to software-center in Ubuntu.

  nothing from Empathy shows up in "irc" search in Software Center

Status in “software-center” package in Ubuntu:

  A user who wants to use IRC should be able to find Empathy as a way to
  do so. Unfortunately, searching in Ubuntu Software Center for "irc"
  doesn't return anything that leads to Empathy.

  The first result is some client called "tekka" (which crashes on
  startup); Konversation and Pidgin also make the list, among many
  others. There is no Empathy, or telepathy-idle (which the Empathy help
  tells me I need to use IRC in Empathy), or account-plugin-irc (which
  is from the empathy source package, and which people tell me to
  install to use IRC in Empathy.)

  I'm not sure how Software Center search works, but I expect a suitable
  tweak to the package metadata would fix the issue.

  I'm on 12.10 with empathy version 3.5.91-0ubuntu2.