The value should be false when you unplugged

amixer -c0 contents

 numid=33,iface=CARD,name='Headphone Jack',index=0
 ; type=BOOLEAN,access=r-------,values=1
 : values=off

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  sound output connector reverts to headphones on boot

Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:

  On each boot, System Settings->Sound->(Output Tab)->Connector comes up
  as Headphones. Sound does not work until changed to Speakers. Setting
  holds through suspend but not a reboot. On each cold boot, setting
  reverts to Headphones.

  I expect a setting of Speakers to hold through a reboot, so my system
  will have working sound on boot-up.

  $ cat /etc/lsb-release
  DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
  DISTRIB_RELEASE=12.04
  DISTRIB_CODENAME=precise
  DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS"

  Upgraded from 11.10.

  $ apt-cache policy gnome-settings-daemon
  gnome-settings-daemon:
    Installed: 3.4.2-0ubuntu0.5
    Candidate: 3.4.2-0ubuntu0.5
    Version table: