I have this problem with a Toshiba Portegé Z930 and Ubuntu 12.04. But I
get instead a black screen with a mouse cursor and a console cursor
blinking. After pressing 2 or ENTER, lightdm starts again.

I leave a "tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log" on the tty1 before pressing 2 or
ENTER, and then I press it, and I can see the crash log. I'm attaching
it.

#105 workaround does NOT fix the problem for me. Removing the /etc/init
/plymount-splash.conf does, however.

** Attachment added: "Black screen before pressing ENTER - Toshiba Portegé Z930"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/plymouth/+bug/532047/+attachment/3453842/+files/2012-12-05%2018.15.59.jpg

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg-server in Ubuntu.

  Plymouth text-mode splash causes X to crash on first run due to shared
  tty7

Status in X.Org X server:
  Invalid
Status in “plymouth” package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in “xorg-server” package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: plymouth

  Lucid adopted the Plymouth graphical splash service that uses the
  Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) facilities to provide a flicker-free
  graphical splash during start-up. For older video chipsets and drivers
  (e.g. intel i815) that *do not* support KMS plymouth falls back to
  using a text console (using the text plugin). It attaches to tty7 and
  outputs Linux terminfo control codes to draw a colour progress-bar at
  the bottom of the display.

  There is an unfortunate interaction between plymouth and X. X also
  uses tty7. When the X/GDM log-in screen appears for the first time
  plymouth is still running. A script triggers a quit message to the
  plymouth daemon. It seems that plymouth is waiting for either the "2"
  key or "Enter" key to be pressed, whereupon a SIGQUIT (signal 3) is
  sent to tty7. This causes both plymouth *and* X to terminate.

  So, if a password contains "2" or the user logs in by pressing "Enter"
  after typing their password, the user experience is that X 'crashes'
  (however, gdb reveals that X receives SIGQUIT).

  Some stray plymouth control codes can be witnessed on tty7 if X is
  stopped and tty7 console is on-screen.

  Upstart (/sbin/init) then restarts gdm (which launches X) and the
  second session performs correctly.

  *** A temporary workaround is to disable the plymouth-splash upstart
  job ***

  sudo mv /etc/init/plymouth-splash.conf /etc/init/plymouth-
  splash.conf.disabled