I see this has been here a while, but I had the same issue a few days
ago and was able to resolve it by adding the following to the command:

DISPLAY=:0 GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set
org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri file:///path/to/background.jpg

  Setting the desktop background from cron no longer updates the desktop
  background

Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:

  I wrote a script which uses `gsettings` to change the desktop
  background in Gnome Shell/Unity. The command that my script executes
  looks like this:

      gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri
  file:///path/to/background.jpg

  Manually running this command immediately updates the desktop
  background. I use cron to schedule execution of my script. My crontab
  rule looks like this:

      0,30 * * * * DISPLAY=:0.0 nextwall
  /home/serrano/Pictures/backgrounds/

  Cron successfully runs the script every 30 minutes and the new
  wallpaper URI is successfully set in `gsettings`. I test this by
  running:

      gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri

  However, the desktop background is not updated when cron runs the
  script (this used to work until about a month ago). Interestingly,
  when I right click on my desktop and select "Change Desktop
  Background", the desktop background is suddenly updated to the correct
  image.

  So for some reason changing the desktop background from cron no longer
  triggers nautilus to update the desktop background.

  Package: nautilus 1:3.4.2-0ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.2.0-29.46-generic-pae 3.2.24
  Uname: Linux 3.2.0-29-generic-pae i686
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.0.1-0ubuntu12
  Architecture: i386
  Date: Sat Aug  4 13:09:50 2012
  GsettingsChanges:
   org.gnome.nautilus.window-state geometry '887x481+231+101'
   org.gnome.nautilus.window-state maximized true
   org.gnome.nautilus.window-state sidebar-width 158
   org.gnome.nautilus.window-state start-with-status-bar true
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release i386
(20120423)
  SourcePackage: nautilus