On 2012-12-11 19:27, Rüdiger Kupper wrote:
> What I intended to say to Ubuntu was:
>
> "Use the English language everywhere, and if there's a difference
> between UK and US English, please utilize the US variant. Only in the
> (very rare) cases, where there's *no English translation at all*
> available, among all other languages, chose the German translation."
>
> Please tell me how I would indicate this choice with the existing GUI.

You can't. And it's not a GUI issue, really. The LANGUAGE environment
variable is populated in accordance with the GUI, but the resulting
display language is determined by gettext and the translations.

> To phrase it the other way round: My expectation was that "English (US)"
> contains all the usual English strings, with only small variations where
> there's a difference between UK and US English.

Well, as you know now, it doesn't.

I, too, like Jeremy's idea. Reopening the bug and changing the affected
package (again).

** Package changed: language-selector (Ubuntu) => accountsservice
(Ubuntu)

** Changed in: accountsservice (Ubuntu)

** Summary changed:

- Gnome displays wrong language
+ Unexpected display language

Packages, which is subscribed to accountsservice in Ubuntu.

  Unexpected display language

Status in “accountsservice” package in Ubuntu:

  Gnome displays German language, although English (US) is selected as primary
language. See attached screenshot.
  (I have rebooted twice since setting language to English).

  Package: gnome 1:3.0+6ubuntu4
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-18-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.6.1-0ubuntu6
  Architecture: i386