Please file a new bug if you've seen this issue with Empathy.

Packages, which is subscribed to pidgin in Ubuntu.

  Photo taken by the webcam as part of the account creation process
  repeatedly uploaded to Gmail as icon.

Status in Pidgin:
  New
Status in “pidgin” package in Ubuntu:

  Hello, thank you for reading.

  This bug is kind of high-level, and it took me a while to even connect
  it to Ubuntu.  (Initially I thought this was Gmail's problem, but that
  seems unlikely now.)  Here's what happened:

  I recently got a new laptop.  (Yay!)  It's a ZaReason 430 UltraLap.
  It was shipped with Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS.  When setting up my account,
  it offered to take a photo with the webcam and make that my login
  profile picture.  I consented.  I wanted to see the camera work.  The
  photo is goofy, and not particularly flattering.  I would never have
  put it anywhere for anyone else to see.

  About a week ago I noticed that Gmail was now using this photo for my
  icon attached to all my mail!  I certainly didn't authorize that.  I
  would not even have agreed to it if offered.   I've been using Firefox
  16.0, in case that matters.

  I found a file containing the image on my hard drive.  (It was called
  /home/amber/.face)  I removed it.  I also did a find for jpegs, but
  didn't find anything else (but note that this would not have located
  the file called .face, either -- finding that was dumb luck.).  I
  uploaded a different photo to my Gmail profile, copied a new photo to
  .face, and associated a new photo with my Ubuntu account.

  Next time I looked the ugly photo was back.  I have now removed it 10
  or more times to no avail, and I have cleared all my cache and
  cookies, too.  It always appears to go away for a time, and then
  reappears.  After a while I decided it only reappeared after
  suspending and unsuspending my laptop (which also includes starting
  and restarting the wifi.  I don't know if simply starting and
  restarting the wifi by itself triggers it).

  Finally, I deleted the photo from Gmail, cleared the cache and
  cookies, closed Firefox, created a new account on my laptop, opened
  that, and opened Gmail on Firefox.  That was nearly 24 hours ago,
  which is the longest I've been without the problem since I first
  noticed it.  I have suspended and unsuspended 2 or 3 times, and the
  photo has not returned, so I now know that somehow this photo is being
  restored to Gmail from somewhere in my original Ubuntu account.

  I find this incident absolutely egregious, as I feel that my privacy
  was violated.  What a relief that the photo was merely ugly, and not
  obscene!

  I'd be very grateful if someone would help me figure out how this is
  happening, and where the file is being stored.

  Please let me know if any other details would help.

  Best,
  Amber