I also tried adding tsched=0 to default.pa, proposed in Bug #927323, but
without success.

Using command proposed in Bug #975135:

pasuspender alsactl init

makes playback normal again. I guess I'll put this in my 3-second bash
script for now...

Packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  Sound on 5.1 system distorted after changing the volume

Status in “pulseaudio” package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: pulseaudio

  I have 32-bit Ubuntu 11.04, and Asus P5B Deluxe MB with onboard audio (Intel
Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller rev 02). A few days ago, I
bought 5.1 sound system, and after enabling 5.1 setup in preferences, I noticed
something weird about sound. After a few hours of fiddling with various
controls and googling, here is what I found:
  1. Changing Balance, Fade or Subwoofer settings in Sound Preferences/Output
makes very heavy distortion of sound from any program (any audio player,
mplayer, vlc,...). The distortion is present on all speakers on 5.1 system, and
on headphone output on MB also.
  2. Changing volume (sound indicator) makes slight metallic distortion (all
outputs).
  3. Changing sound setup back to Analog Stereo Output makes sound OK again
(but, then, 5.1 system isn't working as it is supposed to do).
  4. Starting alsamixer and just changing the PCM slider makes sound OK. Also,
I had to turn all other sliders except Master to 0db to get good sound (when
using sound indicator, it changes Master and PCM settings in alsamixer).

  alsamixer makes everything OK, but it is not the way I want to change
  the volume (I'm used to MM keys for that). Is there a way to make
  system sound volume to affect alsa's Master control only? This would
  solve my problem till better solution is found. I tried to restart
  pulseaudio with PULSE_NO_SIMD=1 (as advised in one bug report), but
  that didn't solve the problem. Tried to load module-x11-xsmp also
  (another advice), but also not working.

  I suppose that this bug is a duplicate of some other, but I didn't
  know which one. I saw similar bugs, but none for natty (maybe I didn't
  search enough).

  I must say that I was pleasantly surprised how audio subsystem
  recognised 5.1 setup and if only wasn't for this distortion, it would
  be perfect 'plug and play'.