Following directions outlined in this thread:

Adding the line "options snd-hda-intel model=auto" to /etc/modprobe.d
/alsa-base.conf:

> sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
> then add at the end of the file:
> "options snd-hda-intel model=auto"
> reboot

Worked! Internal speakers now work perfectly, including hardware volume
control, and output switches automatically, prefers headphone jack
output if available but falls back on internal speakers when not
available. Audio output only appears to work when the "Headphones /
Amplifier: Built-In Audio" device is selected in the Sounds settings
panel (unamplified outputs barely-audible static that resembles the
audio being played, but this is the expected behavior).

Somewhere along the line during install the proper audio hardware wasn't
fully or correctly detected, even though it's supported and works fine
after setting that option in the alsa config.

Packages, which is subscribed to alsa-driver in Ubuntu.

  [ICH4 - Intel ICH6, playback] Playback problem - Playback Through
  Headphone Jack but Not Through Internal Speakers

Status in “alsa-driver” package in Ubuntu:

  I have an old Toshiba Tecra A5 laptop that I recently installed Ubuntu
  12.10 on. The laptop has internal speakers left and right, a hardware
  volume control, and a headphone jack. I am able to play audio
  successfully through the headphone jack, and control the volume with
  the hardware volume control, but I am not able to play back audio
  through the internal speakers.

  I've checked the alsa mixer and the system Sounds panel to confirm
  that all volume controls are up, not muted, and have tested playback
  on all audio devices. Playback on headphones works, but playback on
  internal speakers does not.

  I'm filing a bug report per inrtsuctions in this related bugreport:
  Extensive logs should be attached by the "ubuntu-bug" program.

  Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu3
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-19-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.6.1-0ubuntu9
  Architecture: i386
  AudioDevicesInUse:
   USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
   /dev/snd/controlC0:  dakota     1797 F.... pulseaudio
   /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p:   dakota     1797 F...m pulseaudio
  Date: Mon Dec 17 16:58:44 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" - Release i386 (20121017.2)
  MarkForUpload: True
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: alsa-driver
  Symptom: audio
  Symptom_AlsaPlaybackTest: ALSA playback test through plughw:ICH6 failed
  Symptom_Card: Built-in Audio - Intel ICH6
  Symptom_Type: Only some of outputs are working
  Title: [ICH4 - Intel ICH6, playback] Playback problem
  dmi.bios.date: 11/07/2005
  dmi.bios.vendor: TOSHIBA
  dmi.bios.version: V1.90
  dmi.board.name: ECU00
  dmi.board.vendor: TOSHIBA
  dmi.board.version: Null
  dmi.chassis.asset.tag: *
  dmi.chassis.type: 10
  dmi.chassis.vendor: TOSHIBA
  dmi.chassis.version: N/A
  dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnTOSHIBA:bvrV1.90:bd11/07/2005:svnTOSHIBA:pnTECRAA5:pvrPTA50U-02300Y:rvnTOSHIBA:rnECU00:rvrNull:cvnTOSHIBA:ct10:cvrN/A:
  dmi.product.name: TECRA A5
  dmi.product.version: PTA50U-02300Y
  dmi.sys.vendor: TOSHIBA