I tried the dconf settings emptythevoid posted above, but the monitors
still blank after about 5 or 10 minutes.  The other annoying thing is
they never shut off, they just go blank.  I've found if I've got a video
playing with smplayer or something like that, it follows the time limit
set in System Settings.  So if it's set to power off the monitors after
an hour, it'll at least wait that long.  It still blanks it in the
middle of playing video, though, even with disable screensaver options
checked in the video player, it just waits the appropriate amount of
time.  I think I tried this with movie player and xine as well.

I've got 2 desktop systems both using the nvidia drivers that exhibit
this with either the 300 or 310 drivers.  Strangely my netbook that uses
the same drivers does not seem to have this issue.  The screen powers
off fine.  I should try changing the screen settings options to match
the others and see if it starts behaving the same way.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-screensaver in Ubuntu.

  screen goes dark although screensaver is switched off

Status in “gnome-screensaver” package in Ubuntu:

  although in system settings the "switch off screen" (Bildschirm
  abschalten, wenn inaktiv für...) is set to "never" the screen will go
  dark after a while although not going to standby - its just darkened.

  Package: gnome-screensaver 3.6.0-0ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia
  Date: Fri Oct  5 12:04:09 2012
  GnomeSessionIdleInhibited: No
  GnomeSessionInhibitors: None
  GsettingsGnomeSession:
   org.gnome.desktop.session idle-delay uint32 180
   org.gnome.desktop.session session-name 'ubuntu'
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Release amd64 (20111012)
  SourcePackage: gnome-screensaver
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-09-17 (17 days ago)