Dave, Restoring the original libcario module fixed evince --- now NX is unable
to display text again.

Not being real familiar with the internals of Linux, It never occurred to me to
relate the loss of EVINCE with
the fix of NX --- especially since they occurried weeks apart from each other.

- - - -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2081746&highlight=nomachine

I just went out and reread the "fix" description on NX and found that there are
new updates to that report.
Originally there were only comments 1 to 5.
Now there are comments 6 to 12.
apparently other people had the same trouble as I did --- and as I was badly
burned by the last attempt to fix NX, I do not want to get burned again.

Would you be so kind, as to review those comments and see if there is a
"recommended" fix for NX?
As I still consider myself a relatively  "newbee" in Linux, I would appreciate
the assistance.)

If that is against the rules, then I understand and greatly appreciate
the assistance that you have provided!!!

/s/ Bill Turner, wb4alm

Packages, which is subscribed to evince in Ubuntu.

  Evince fails to open PDF files. worked prior to Ubuntu 12.10 upgrade
  [-WARNING **: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpoppler-glib.so.8:
  undefined symbol: cairo_mesh_pattern_begin_patch]

Status in “evince” package in Ubuntu:

  Any time I try to view a PDF file, an icon is created in the task bar
  that says "opening file ...." but the file does not open. No errors
  are shown and I have not located any messages in any of the logs. This
  problem affects ALL pdf files, but the files are displayable using
  "mupdf".

  According to the following, evince 3.6.0 is installed.

  apt-cache policy evince
  evince:
    Installed: 3.6.0-0ubuntu2
    Candidate: 3.6.0-0ubuntu2
    Version table:
   *** 3.6.0-0ubuntu2 0
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  I have attempted to purge and reinstall evince several times, even to
  the point of deleting the evince libraries in  /usr/lib/  and
  /usr/share/   and  /var/lib/dpkg/info/   The result is always the
  same.  Sometimes after the failure, Ubuntu reports an internal error
  in evince - which I have told it to send a report to the developers.
  The report must be very small, as it takes less than a second to do
  so.

  Package: evince 3.6.0-0ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-21.32-generic 3.5.7.1
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-21-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia