Maybe a hint to solve the problem:  The desktop effects are very very
slow, compared to ubuntu 10.04.

Packages, which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in Ubuntu.

  ubuntu 3D frequent freezes with nouveau driver

Status in “xserver-xorg-video-nouveau” package in Ubuntu:

  Hi folks

  I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 64Bit (upgraded from Precise Beta 2) on my Macbook
6,1 (single boot via efi) and experience severe Problems while using Ubuntu 3D
with nouveau driver. System freezes regularely and not reproducable after a
certain amount of time. (from 2 minutes to half an hour) Also no particular
GUI-Application causes the error. Even playing flash doesn't cause the error
directly.
  Also from time to time, i have little freezes where mouse and keyboard are
locked for a few seconds (often when starting applications)

  While completely frozen, i can still move the mouse-cursor, but mouseclicks
do not work. Also the keyboard is completely locked.
  I'm not able to change to TTYs by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1-7

  SSHing into machine works fine.
  I can restart lightdm from SSH-connected machine and i'm back to login screen
(system usable until next freeze). Without having an ssh connection i'm forced
to power-off with button.

  Didn't experience the problem with nvidia drivers (but can't adjust screen
brightness using it, so it is no solution form me).
  Working with Ubuntu 2D works fine (no crashes so far).
  Can't reproduce if it started after upgrading to final LTS, because I used
nvidia drivers with beta2

  Logfiles (collected over SSH) attached, please let me know if i can help with
other logs.
  Thanks