I'm also seeing the behavior that LGB describes after whitelisting all
systray icons. In 12.10, this seems to affect Pidgin, VMware
Workstation, and Vuze. In 12.04 it also affected Shutter, but no longer
in 12.10. There seems to be some relationship between the icons
disappear and workspace switching.

Immediately after logging in, all of the icons work properly. Any
incident of the icons disappears seems to follow a workspace switch,
although I'm not certain that the very first workspace switch after a
login or unity reset results in the icons disappearing.

Once this occurs, the icons are still visible when the Dash is brought
up or while switching workspaces or viewing all workspaces with Super-S,
but are not clickable.

Packages, which is subscribed to pidgin in Ubuntu.

  Indicator-applet Disappears After Closing a Conversation

Status in “pidgin” package in Ubuntu:

  I run pidgin as a start-up application.

  Since upgrading to Ubuntu 12.10, pidgin doesn't seem to sustain its
  applet-indicator (by the clock).

  Pidgin is running, but I have no way to access it until someone
  messages me. After closing that conversation. I see no way to access
  my buddy-list other than trying to launching it again from the Unity
  dash.

  I like pidgin to have its own indicator-icon by the clock. In 12.04, I
  could find pidgin's indicator-icon by clicking the envelope-icon-
  indicator by the clock, but in 12.10, I see no way to access my buddy
  list.

  Package: pidgin 1:2.10.6-0ubuntu2
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl
  Date: Tue Oct  9 11:00:02 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS "Precise Pangolin" - Release amd64
(20120425)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: pidgin
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to quantal on 2012-10-04 (4 days ago)