thanks for the bug report
i guess you need to authorize your google account again.

** Changed in: empathy (Ubuntu)

Packages, which is subscribed to empathy in Ubuntu.

  Empathy: No contacts on gtalk: 'status is set to offline'

Status in “empathy” package in Ubuntu:

  This problem happens in two computers, whether I use auto-login or not, with
Ubuntu 12.10.
  I configured two accounts on the Online Accounts window: Facebook and Google.

  My Facebook contacts always appear on Empathy, but gTalk contacts
  almost never appear, with the error message "status is set to offline"
  appearing in red at the top of Empathy's main window.

  I have to restart Empathy several times until I get lucky and it shows
  my gTalk contacts.

  I also try setting my status to Online in various ways: through the
  Unity Panel, through Empathy's main-window 'Go Online' button, and
  through Empathy's main-window dropdown box. The symptoms are the same
  no matter what I do.

  Package: empathy 3.6.0.3-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.5.0-21.32-generic 3.5.7.1
  Uname: Linux 3.5.0-21-generic x86_64
  NonfreeKernelModules: fglrx