I posted earlier in this thread (probably so long ago that I can't find
it :U)

I'd like to reiterate my motion that this is a needed feature. I
believe, as an end user, and an experienced computer user, who knows a
fair bit about securing end user stuff, I believe that Firefox will be
forever incomplete if it does not integrate with the major operating
systems' secure password storage systems.

Implement it, please, into Mozilla Firefox itself, so that all users can
have a good, easy, and slightly more secure experience in using Mozilla
Firefox. As mentioned above, the code is already there. Or, state
directly (meaning straight from the developers' mouthes) the major and
crippling disadvantage that means that it cannot be implemented. Feel
free to use as much technical language as you wish, in order to convince
us that your way is correct, so that we can end this 8 year long
struggle for one simple feature, one way or another.

Seriously, this is equal to how Yahoo Mail hasn't used HTTPS for ages,
until AccessNow made a little noise.

  Integrate with Gnome Keyring

Status in The Mozilla Firefox Browser:
  Confirmed
Status in “firefox” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in “xulrunner-1.9” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in “xulrunner-1.9.1” package in Ubuntu:

  For a really good Gnome integration, it would be great to have the
  ability to save passwords in the Gnome keyring.

  A similar thing has been proposed for Epiphany: see
  https://launchpad.net/malone/bugs/3467.