Public bug reported:

When selecting a wireless network name in the network settings app
(System Settings -> Network), under Network Name you can see the name of
the currently associated network, with the ability to cause the drop
down list to expand by selecting the down arrow at the far right hand
edge of the box.

I shouldn't have to navigate to that far right edge to select the small that is
the down arrow in order to bring up the list, I should be able to select
anywhere along the length of the box containing the Network Name.
When hovering over the network name, the mouse pointer takes on a text entry
style, yet this is not a text entry box; selecting the network name does
nothing.

Release:        12.10

** Affects: network-manager (Ubuntu)

  wireless network name in network settings drop down list should be
  selectable from anywhere along the length of the name not just at the
  end

Status in “network-manager” package in Ubuntu: