Dear Rainer, please reconsider your decision to mark this bug as
WONTFIX. In my  humble opinion, this is not acceptable given the history
and given the demand for this feature.

The existence of an extension for a fundamental feature of a word
processor (that's how it is perceived on the users' side) does not
justify to close this bug. Would you close a bug entry as wontfix, if it
was a bug that does not allow to type the character "z" and there was an
extension enabling the user to type the character "z"? There is a real
reason why this bug is ranked so high on the votes for enhancement wiki.
The same bug has 12 CC in this bug report, 15 votes on the ODF-wiki and
211 votes in the Apache OpenOffice tracker!

*My suggestion*: Armin and others extensively pointed it out that this bug is a
result of a major drawing layer design issue. It is not a easy hack, but a hard
hack. Please mark it as such and please help Armin LeGrand to get the Drawing
Layer Aw080 done as fast as possible:
http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Aw080_documentation
*In my opinion, this is a very difficult task where the guys at Apache
OpenOffice need the help and collaboration of the guys at LibreOffice!*

  [Upstream] Wishlist: Add rotation of images to writer

Status in LibreOffice Productivity Suite:
  Confirmed
Status in The OpenOffice.org Suite:
  Unknown
Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix
Status in “openoffice.org” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: openoffice.org

  Currently when a picture is imported, it is impossible to rotate it.
  This makes the task of importing images/graphs into OpenOffice
  unneccessarily difficult and complex. Since OpenOffice already has a
  gazillion of options about images, it's quite amazing that it cannot
  rotate them.