I understand that it was once commonplace to do "/etc/init.d/networking
restart" but (the latter's Upstart replacement) "sudo restart
networking" is deprecated.

** Changed in: network-manager (Ubuntu)

  "sudo service networking restart" causes the GUI to crash

Status in “ifupdown” package in Ubuntu:

  In Ubuntu 12.10 Desktop x64 and the Gnome Desktop version of Ubuntu;
  when you restart the networking via: sudo service networking stop (or
  restart) the GUI for the entire desktop crashes and you are left
  either at the cli or the GUI doesn't completely close but any terminal
  windows left open do not function.

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      12.10

  What I was expecting to happen was for the networking to restart
  during normal operation of the GUI.

  What happened instead was that the GUI crashed

  I am using an ASUS N56VM laptop