I'll file details from two machines where I can confirm bug tomorrow.

This bug seems to affect amd64 and/or ATI hardware only.
The bug appeared first 4-6 weeks ago, there were no such problems before, and
all the updates from the last weeks didn't solve the problem.

As reported, the screen freezes, mouse pointer movable, but no clicks /
keyboard work.
It is possible to login via Alt+F1 and kill X so that it restarts.

The freezes I have seen (still today after yesterday's Precise updates)
always occurred with a Firefox with graphics/video plugin ins active,
never on pure text windows (e.g. Openoffice, emacs, eclipse).

All machines I'm reporting on below are updated regularly and run fairly
standard Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with Compiz/Unity and the standard graphics
drivers that Ubuntu suggests/installs automatically.

Two machines with almost identical hardware *do have* this bug:
Athlon 4050e  (Asus M2A-VM) with AMD 690G Chipset - Integrated ATI Radeon
X1250-based graphics

The following machines *do not have* this bug although software is almost the
same (but different CPU and graphics boards):
- a Mac mini 2010 with Intel Core2 Duo P8600 and Nvidia graphics
- a Lenovo Thinkpad T60p with Dualcore Pentium and ATI graphics (machine must
be approx. 6 yrs old)
- a Samsung NC10 netbook with Intel Atom N270 and Intel GMA 950

Packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  Xorg freeze

Status in “xorg” package in Ubuntu:

  My screen hangs randomly. The only thing that is responsive is the
  touchpad. I can mve the mouse pointer across the screen but cannot
  click anything. The system cannot be soft-restarted too. The only
  resort is to press the power button long enough to do shutdown the
  system.

  Package: xorg 1:7.6+12ubuntu1
  NonfreeKernelModules: wl